Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Wild Adventures


We finally made it to the San Diego Wild Animal Park!
We arrived on a rainy Saturday morning in March and had the place to ourselves. Marissa didn't care for the rain too much so we created an umbrella suite just for her. She managed to cope with the conditions gracefully(she can be a little dramatic.) Livvy checked everything out and ate everything I put on her tray. Ty couldn't get enough of the trails and bridges. He wanted to run everywhere. Josh appreciated the persistent rain that kept us nice and cool and I liked all the different waterfalls and plants. Honestly I like it a little warmer.
We stopped for a kid picture next to the Lion. I kept telling Riss to stand in the middle next to Liv and she kept giving me this "I'm squished stance." It's a golden moment when I can catch all three kids looking in the same direction at the same time, and a miracle if they are smiling.
Here is the mighty Lion who was right next to us and decided to relieve himself on the window. (No, I didn't take a picture. . . . gross! Somethings you only see at the zoo.)
Being that Ty's favorite color is yellow, he sucked in a bucket of air when when he spotted a gigantic YELLOW hot air balloon. It really was impressive.
Livvy was our happiest rain traveler, who wouldn't like soggy cheerios? She kicked her feet the entire trip.
This bridge smelled like Show Low in the summer after a big rain. Notice the lovely pine-tree poles lining the sides. That must have taken a long time to build. Rissy and I had a picture moment.
The large green fields in the background had wild animals from Africa. Since you can't see any animals, now you know that we didn't see any there either. But on the look out where we took this picture there are California Condors. They were amazing and enjoyed the gusts of wind blowing through their Habitat, I didn't take any pictures because they are NOT handsome birds, now I wish I had.
The cutest thing there was the baby elephant. I don't think I have ever seen one before, it pulled at my heart strings. I've always had a tender spot in my heart for Dumbo and cry every time I see his mother holding him through the bars of the train.
Here is the Lucky Rhino horn that we stopped to touch on our way out. It was life size and such a tame Rhino, I like that kind of animal. The other day Ty asked if he could call Granna Adams she is 84 and they had a 15 minute discussion about the zoo and snakes and spiders, Granna said she didn't like snakes and Ty said, "Granna at the zoo you don't have to worry cuz there's glass to keep the snakes in and you can look at them all you want and they can't get you." I thought it was sweet that he was trying to calm her fears.
Rissy's favorite animal to see at the zoo is the Zebra. Ty's are the Polar Bears, Giraffes and the Yellow Python. I like the Hippopotamus and honey bees and otters. I'm not sure what Josh would choose for a favorite animal. Maybe the Gorillas they are characters.
We love to go to the San Diego Zoo and ride the skyride too. I am a big fan of the Zoo, it's a workout and an adventure every time.

5 comments:

Crystal and Billy said...

What a cute little family, Kara! I'm glad you all had fun. We'll have to go there the next time we're in San Diego.

By the way, I made my blog private and I'd like to send you an invite, but I don't have your email address. Could you email me at CrystalLynnHunter@gmail.com?

Jaime S. said...

you guys are cute. glad to see you took advantage of the Zoo there. I love Balboa park.

Tami G. said...

So nice to see your family. Wish I could see you in real life!

Claire said...

Yah, glad you got it all figured out. The rainy day looks absolutely beautiful.

Kymi said...

Bear! It is so good to see some pictures of your little family. Thanks for sharing with all of us. Your kids are adorable as ever. I'm so glad to see that life is good for you. Miss you bunches! Lets talk more!